The Old St. Thomas Church Restoration and Maintenance Trust was established as a not-for-profit charitable corporation in January 1984. Its purpose under the Letters Patent is the care and maintenance of the church and churchyard. The site is owned by the Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Huron and is deemed a Chapel at Ease.
The building is an excellent example of vernacular Gothic Revival, with a metal-clad steeple surrounded by wooden crenellations on the tower and roof gables. The structure is load-bearing brick partially covered in stucco, with a post-and-beam roof, tower and spire.
The first restoration was undertaken in 1894 by a group led by Charles Oakes Ermatinger. In the 1920s, for the church’s 100th anniversary, another push followed after the floor caved in. By the 1930s the Masonic Window was installed. In 1948 the Lych Gate was added.
In the 1980s, after the steeple caught fire, a strong resurgence of community support was born. Money began to be raised and the Trust was established to ensure those funds were protected and used for the site. The Diocese hired Peter Stokes, a prominent historical architect from Niagara-on-the-Lake, to assess the building.
Over the past forty years the Trust has overseen more than $1.5 million of restorative work, including the total restoration of the building from 1988 to 1992 under the leadership of Dana Porter — a complete new foundation, roof repairs, truss repairs, window re-glazing, tower re-cladding, brick re-pointing, painting and plaster refinishing.
Since then the repairs have continued in cycles. Windows need painting, roofs need replacing, brickwork needs repointing, towers need re-cladding. It is always in need of continued care and maintenance.